verb (used with object), mon·e·tized, mon·e·tiz·ing.
- to legalize as money.
- to coin into money: to monetize gold.
- to give the character of money to.
- Economics. to convert (a debt, especially the national debt) into currency, especially by issuing government securities or notes.
- to establish as the legal tender of a country
- to give a legal value to (a coin)
n.1864; see monetize + -ation. v.1880, “put into circulation as money,” from Latin moneta “money” (see money) + -ize. Related: Monetized; monetizing.