- Biology. having both male and female organs in the same individual; hermaphroditic.
- Botany. (of a plant, species, etc.) having the stamens and the pistils in separate flowers on the same plant.
- (of some flowering plants) having the male and female reproductive organs in separate flowers on the same plant
- (of some animals and lower plants) hermaphrodite
- Having unisexual reproductive organs or flowers, with the organs or flowers of both sexes carried on a single plant, as in corn.
- Having separate male flowers and female flowers on the same plant. Maize and oaks are monoecious plants. Compare dioecious.