- having only one type.
- of the nature of a monotype.
- Biology. having only one representative, as a genus with a single species.
- (of a genus or species) consisting of only one type of animal or plant
- of or relating to a monotype
- Having a single form or member, especially containing no more than one taxonomic category of the next lower rank. A monotypic genus contains a single species, while a monotypic species consists of a single population that is not divided into subspecies. Compare polytypic.