- resembling a monument; massive or imposing.
- exceptionally great, as in quantity, quality, extent, or degree: a monumental work.
- of historical or enduring significance: a monumental victory.
- Fine Arts. having the quality of being larger than life; of heroic scale.
- of or relating to a monument or monuments.
- serving as a monument.
- like a monument, esp in large size, endurance, or importancea monumental work of art
- of, relating to, or being a monument
- informal (intensifier)monumental stupidity
adj.c.1600, “pertaining to a monument,” from Late Latin monumentalis “pertaining to a monument,” from monumentum (see monument). From 1650s in the loose sense of “vast, stupendous.” Related: Monumentally.