- a person who bites his or her nails, especially habitually.
- a situation marked by anxiety or tension.
- the act or practice of biting one’s fingernails, especially as the result of anxiety or nervousness.
- Informal. nervousness: The announcement that the trade agreement had been signed ended a week of nail-biting on Wall Street.
- Informal. causing nervousness: The nail-biting part of the canoe trip was through the stretches of white water.
- a person who bites his or her nails
- a person who is anxious or tense
- something that causes anxiety or tension
- the act or habit of biting one’s fingernails
- anxiety or tension
- (as modifier)nail-biting suspense