- a firm, durable, yellow or buff fabric, formerly made from a natural-colored Chinese cotton.
- a twilled material made from other cotton and dyed in imitation of this fabric.
- nankeens, garments made of this material.
- a yellow or buff color.
- Also called Nankeen porcelain, Nanking china, Nanking ware. a type of Chinese porcelain having blue ornament on a white ground.
- a hard-wearing buff-coloured cotton fabric
- a pale greyish-yellow colour
- (as adjective)a nankeen carpet
n.kind of cotton cloth, 1755, from Nanking, China, where it originally was made.