noun Chiefly Scot.
- liquor, especially ale.
noun, plural nap·pies.
- a small shallow dish, usually round and often of glass, with a flat bottom and sloping sides, for serving food.
adjective, nap·pi·er, nap·pi·est.
- covered with nap; downy.
- (of hair) kinky.
noun, plural nap·pies. Chiefly British.
- a diaper.
noun plural -pies
- British a piece of soft material, esp towelling or a disposable material, wrapped around a baby in order to absorb its urine and excrementAlso called: napkin US and Canadian name: diaper
adjective -pier or -piest
- having a nap; downy; fuzzy
- (of alcoholic drink, esp beer)
- having a head; frothy
- strong or heady
- dialect, mainly British slightly intoxicated; tipsy
- (of a horse) jumpy or irritable; nervy
- any strong alcoholic drink, esp heady beer
adj.“downy,” late 15c., from nap (n.1) + -y (2). Meaning “fuzzy, kinky,” used in colloquial or derogatory reference to the hair of black people, is from 1950.