- of or relating to the nose: the nasal cavity.
- Phonetics. pronounced with the voice issuing through the nose, either partly, as in French nasal vowels, or entirely (as in m, n, or the ng of song).
- Phonetics. a nasal speech sound.
- of or relating to the nose
- phonetics pronounced with the soft palate lowered allowing air to escape via the nasal cavity instead of or as well as through the mouth
- a nasal speech sound, such as English m, n, or ng
- another word for nosepiece (def. 1)
adj.1650s, “of the nose,” from French nasal, from Latin nasus “nose, the nose, sense of smell,” from PIE *nas- (see nose (n.)). Of speech sounds, attested from 1660s. As a noun, “nasal letter or sound,” from 1660s. Related: Nasality; nasalization. adj.
- Of, in, or relating to the nose.
- Relating to or involving the nose.