- beginning to exist or develop: That nascent republic is holding its first election this month.
- Chemistry. (of an element) in the nascent state.
- starting to grow or develop; being born
- chem (of an element or simple compound, esp hydrogen) created within the reaction medium in the atomic form and having a high activity
adj.1620s, from Latin nascentem (nominative nascens) “arising young, immature,” present participle of nasci “to be born” (Old Latin gnasci; see genus). Related: Nascence (1560s); nascency. adj.
- Coming into existence; emerging.
- Of or relating to the state of a chemical element at the moment it is set free from one of its compounds.