verb (used with object), na·tion·al·ized, na·tion·al·iz·ing.
- to bring under the ownership or control of a nation, as industries and land: a movement to nationalize the oil industry.
- to make into a nation.
- to naturalize.
- to make national in extent or scope: a magazine article that nationalized a local problem.
verb (used without object), na·tion·al·ized, na·tion·al·iz·ing.
- to become nationalized or naturalized: Those who remain in the country must nationalize.
- to put (an industry, resources, etc) under state control or ownership
- to make national in scope, character, or status
- a less common word for naturalize
v.1800, “invest with a national character,” from national + -ize. Meaning “bring under state control” is from 1869. Related: Nationalized; nationalizing.