- the act or process of navigating.
- the art or science of plotting, ascertaining, or directing the course of a ship, aircraft, or guided missile.
- the skill or process of plotting a route and directing a ship, aircraft, etc, along it
- the act or practice of navigatingdredging made navigation of the river possible
- US rare ship traffic; shipping
- Midland English dialect an inland waterway; canal
n.1530s, from Middle French navigation (14c.) or directly from Latin navigationem (nominative navigatio) “a sailing, navigation, voyage,” noun of action from past participle stem of navigare “to sail, sail over, go by sea, steer a ship,” from navis “ship” (see naval) + root of agere “to drive” (see act (n.)).