- any elongate cylindrical worm of the polychaete family Nereididae, including clamworms.
- of or relating to the family Nereididae.
- (sometimes lowercase) Classical Mythology. any of the 50 daughters of Nereus; a sea nymph.
- Astronomy. a moon of the planet Neptune.
noun plural Nereides (nəˈriːəˌdiːz)
- Greek myth any of the 50 sea nymphs who were the daughters of the sea god Nereus
- a satellite of the planet Neptune, in a large and highly eccentric orbit
“sea-nymph,” 1510s, from Greek Nereis (genitive Nereidos), daughter of the ancient sea-god Nereus, whose name is related to naros “flowing, liquid, I flow” (see naiad).