- of, relating to, or characteristic of neurosis.
- a neurotic person.
- of, relating to, or afflicted by neurosis
- a person who is afflicted with a neurosis or who tends to be emotionally unstable or unusually anxious
adj.1775, “acting upon or stimulating the nerves,” from Greek neuron “nerve” (see neuro-) + -otic, as in hypnotic. Sense of “affected by neurosis” is 1887. The noun meaning “a neurotic person” is from 1896. Related: Neurotically. adj.
- Of, relating to, derived from, or affected with a neurosis.
- A person suffering from a neurosis.