- the moon either when in conjunction with the sun or soon after, being either invisible or visible only as a slender crescent.
- the phase of the moon at this time.
- the moon when it appears as a narrow waxing crescent
- the time at which this occurs
- astronomy one of the four principal phases of the moon, occurring when it lies between the earth and the sun
- The phase of the Moon that occurs when it passes between Earth and the Sun, making it either invisible or visible only as a thin crescent at sunset. See more at moon. Compare full moon.