- the point of a pen, or either of its divisions.
- a penpoint for insertion into a penholder.
- a point of anything: a cutting tool with a diamond nib.
- a bill or beak, as of a bird; neb.
- any pointed extremity.
- a piece of sintered tungsten carbide used as a die for drawing wire or the like.
- (in powder metallurgy) a compact at any stage of its manufacture.
- his/her nibs, Informal: Often Facetious. a person in authority, especially one who is demanding and tyrannical: His nibs wants fresh strawberries in December.
- the writing point of a pen, esp an insertable tapered metal part with a split tip
- a point, tip, or beak
- (plural) crushed cocoa beans
verb nibs, nibbing or nibbed (tr)
- to provide with a nib
- to prepare or sharpen the nib of
- his nibs (functioning as singular) slang a mock title used of someone in authority
n.1580s, “beak or bill of a bird,” Scottish variant of Old English neb (see neb). Meaning “point” (of a pen or quill) first recorded 1610s. n.especially in His Nibs “boss, employer, self-important person,” 1821, of unknown origin; perhaps a variant of nob “person of high position.” n.
- The smooth or serrated portion of a dental instrument that comes into contact with restorative material being condensed.