- a combining form used in the names of chemical compounds in which the nitro group is present: nitroglycerin.
- indicating that a chemical compound contains a nitro group, -NO 2nitrobenzene
- indicating that a chemical compound is a nitrate esternitrocellulose
before vowels nitr-, word-forming element used scientifically and indicating “nitrogen, nitrate” or “nitric acid,” from comb. form of Greek nitron (see nitre). pref.
- Nitrate; nitrogen:nitrogenase.
- Containing the univalent radical NO2:nitrous.