- no1(def 1).
- (used as an exclamation, especially of warning): Nix, the cops!
verb (used with object)
- to veto; refuse to agree to; prohibit: to nix the project.
noun, plural nix·es.
- (in Germanic folklore) a water spirit that draws its victims into its underwater home.
- another word for no 1 (def. 1)
- be careful! watch out!
- a rejection or refusal
- nothing at all
- (tr) to veto, deny, reject, or forbid (plans, suggestions, etc)
- German myth a male water sprite, usually unfriendly to humans
v.“cancel, refuse, forbid,” 1903, from nix (n.). Related: Nixed; nixing. n.“nothing, none,” 1789, from German nix, dialectal variant of nichts “nothing,” from Middle High German nihtes, from genitive of niht, nit “nothing,” from Old High German niwiht, from ni, ne “no” (see un-) + wiht “thing, creature” (cf. naught).