- any beverage made with beaten eggs, usually with alcoholic liquor; eggnog.
- a strong ale formerly brewed in Norfolk, England.
- a block of wood, as one inserted into brickwork to provide a hold for nails.
- any wooden peg, pin, or block.
- Also nogging. one of a number of wooden pieces fitted between the principal timbers of a half-timbered wall.
verb (used with object), nogged, nog·ging.
- to fill (a framed wall or partition) with small masonry, as bricks or stones.
- Also called: flip a drink, esp an alcoholic one, containing beaten egg
- East Anglian dialect strong local beer
- a wooden peg or block built into a masonry or brick wall to provide a fixing for nails
- short for nogging (def. 1)
n.1690s, “old, strong type of beer brewed in Norfolk,” of unknown origin. Cf. eggnog.