- a person who refuses to conform, as to established customs, attitudes, or ideas.
- (often initial capital letter) a Protestant in England who is not a member of the Church of England; dissenter.
- a person who does not conform to generally accepted patterns of behaviour or thought
- of or characterized by behaviour that does not conform to generally accepted patterns
- a member of a Protestant denomination that dissents from an Established Church, esp the Church of England
- of, relating to, or denoting Nonconformists
n.also nonconformist, 1610s, originally one who adhered to Church of England doctrine but not its practice, from non- + conformist. After their ejection under the Act of Uniformity (1662) the name passed to the separate churches they joined or formed. In general use from 1670s as “one who does not participate in a practice or course of action.” As an adjective from 1640s.