- failure or refusal to conform, as with established customs, attitudes, or ideas.
- lack of conformity or agreement.
- (often initial capital letter) refusal to conform to the Church of England.
- Geology. an unconformity that separates crystalline rocks, either igneous or metamorphic, from sedimentary rocks.
- failure or refusal to conform
- absence of agreement or harmony
n.also nonconformity, 1610s, coined in English from non- + conformity. Originally of Church of England clergymen who refused to conform on certain ceremonies.