- of advanced age; old: discounts for elderly patrons.
- of or relating to persons in later life.
- (used with a plural verb) elderly people collectively; senior citizens (usually preceded by the): Doctors recommend that young children and the elderly get vaccinated.
adjective (of people)
- quite old; past middle age
- (as collective noun; preceded by the)the elderly Related adjective: geriatric
adj.1610s, from elder + -ly (1). Old English ealdorlic meant “chief, princely, excellent, authentic.” Old English also had related eldernliche “of old time,” literally “forefatherly.”