- a person who has special skill or knowledge in some particular field; specialist; authority: a language expert.
- the highest rating in rifle marksmanship, above that of marksman and sharpshooter.
- a person who has achieved such a rating.
- possessing special skill or knowledge; trained by practice; skillful or skilled (often followed by in or at): an expert driver; to be expert at driving a car.
- pertaining to, coming from, or characteristic of an expert: expert work; expert advice.
verb (used with object)
- to act as an expert for.
- a person who has extensive skill or knowledge in a particular field
- skilful or knowledgeable
- of, involving, or done by an expertan expert job
adj.late 14c., from Old French expert and directly from Latin expertus, past participle of experiri “to try, test” (see experience). The noun sense of “person wise through experience” existed 15c., reappeared 1825. Related: Expertly.