adjective, gloss·i·er, gloss·i·est.
- having a shiny or lustrous surface.
- having a false or deceptive appearance or air, especially of experience or sophistication; specious.
noun, plural gloss·ies.
- slick1(def 9).
- a photograph printed on glossy paper.
adjective glossier or glossiest
- smooth and shiny; lustrous
- superficially attractive; plausible
- (of a magazine) lavishly produced on shiny paper and usually with many colour photographs
noun plural glossies
- Also called (US): slick an expensively produced magazine, typically a sophisticated fashion or glamour magazine, printed on shiny paper and containing high quality colour photographyCompare pulp (def. 3)
- a photograph printed on paper that has a smooth shiny surface
adj.1550s, from gloss (n.1) + -y (2). Figurative use from 1690s. The noun sense of “photograph with a glossy surface” is from 1931. Related: Glossiness.