- pertaining to the ministry of religion, or to a minister or other member of the clergy.
- pertaining to a ministry or minister of state.
- pertaining to or invested with delegated executive authority.
- of ministry or service.
- serving as an instrument or means; instrumental.
- of or relating to a minister of religion or his office
- of or relating to a government minister or ministrya ministerial act
- (often capital) of or supporting the ministry or government against the opposition
- law relating to or possessing delegated executive authority
- law (of an office, duty, etc) requiring the following of instructions, without power to exercise any personal discretion in doing so
- acting as an agent or cause; instrumental
adj.1560s, of religion; 1650s, of state; in some uses from Middle French ministériel and directly from Medieval Latin ministerialis “pertaining to service, of a minister,” from Latin ministerium (see ministry); in some cases probably directly from minister or ministry.