- the act or an instance of motivating, or providing with a reason to act in a certain way: I don’t understand what her motivation was for quitting her job.
- the state or condition of being motivated or having a strong reason to act or accomplish something: We know that these students have strong motivation to learn.
- something that motivates; inducement; incentive: Clearly, the company’s long-term motivation is profit.
- the act or an instance of motivating
- desire to do; interest or drive
- incentive or inducement
- psychol the process that arouses, sustains and regulates human and animal behaviour
n.1873, from motivate + -ion. Psychological use, “inner or social stimulus for an action,” is from 1904.