verb (used with object), strat·i·fied, strat·i·fy·ing.
- to form or place in strata or layers.
- to preserve or germinate (seeds) by placing them between layers of earth.
- Sociology. to arrange in a hierarchical order, especially according to graded status levels.
verb (used without object), strat·i·fied, strat·i·fy·ing.
- to form strata.
- Geology. to lie in beds or layers.
- Sociology. to develop hierarchically, especially as graded status levels.
verb -fies, -fying or -fied
- to form or be formed in layers or strata
- (tr) to preserve or render fertile (seeds) by storing between layers of sand or earth
- sociol to divide (a society) into horizontal status groups or (of a society) to develop such groups
v.1660s, from French stratifier, from Modern Latin stratificare, from stratum (see stratum). Related: Stratified; stratifying.