- actively poisonous; intensely noxious: a virulent insect bite.
- Medicine/Medical. highly infective; malignant or deadly.
- Bacteriology. causing clinical symptoms.
- violently or spitefully hostile.
- intensely bitter, spiteful, or malicious: a virulent attack.
- (of a microorganism) extremely infective
- (of a disease) having a rapid course and violent effect
- extremely poisonous, injurious, etc
- extremely bitter, hostile, etc
adj.c.1400, in reference to wounds, ulcers, etc., “full of corrupt or poisonous matter,” from Latin virulentus “poisonous,” from virus “poison” (see virus). Figurative sense of “violent, spiteful” is attested from c.1600. Related: Virulently. adj.
- Extremely infectious, malignant, or poisonous. Used of a disease or toxin.
- Capable of causing disease by breaking down protective mechanisms of the host. Used of a pathogen.
- Intensely irritating, obnoxious, or harsh.