- coated with glue, paste, mastic, or other sticky substance: adhesive bandages.
- sticking fast; sticky; clinging.
- Physics. of or relating to the molecular force that exists in the area of contact between unlike bodies and that acts to unite them.
- a substance that causes something to adhere, as glue or rubber cement.
- adhesive tape.
- Philately. a postage stamp with a gummed back, as distinguished from one embossed or printed on an envelope or card.
- able or designed to adhere; stickyadhesive tape
- tenacious or clinging
- a substance used for sticking objects together, such as glue, cement, or paste
adj.1660s, from French adhésif, formed in French from Latin adhaes-, past participle stem of adhaere (see adherent). n.1881, from adhesive (adj.). Originally of postage stamps (adhesive stamp is attested from 1840). Of substances that cause to adhere by 1900. adj.
- Tending to adhere; sticky.
- Of, relating to, or having the characteristics of an adhesion.
- A substance that adheres to a surface or causes adherence between surfaces.
- A substance, such as paste or cement, that causes two surfaces to stick together. Adhesives are made of gelatin or other substances, such as epoxy, resin, or polyethylene.
- Relating to adhesion.