- of or relating to the constitution of a state, organization, etc.
- subject to the provisions of such a constitution: a constitutional monarchy.
- provided by, in accordance with, or not prohibited by, such a constitution: the constitutional powers of the president; a law held to be constitutional by the Supreme Court.
- belonging to or inherent in the character or makeup of a person’s body or mind: a constitutional weakness for sweets.
- pertaining to the constitution or composition of a thing; essential.
- beneficial to one’s constitution; healthful: constitutional exercise.
- a walk or other mild exercise taken for the benefit of one’s health.
- denoting, characteristic of, or relating to a constitution
- authorized by or subject to a constitution
- of or inherent in the physical make-up or basic nature of a person or thinga constitutional weakness
- beneficial to one’s general physical wellbeing
- a regular walk taken for the benefit of one’s health
adj.1680s, “pertaining to a person’s (physical or mental) constitution,” from constitution + -al (1). Meaning “beneficial to bodily constitution” is from 1750. Meaning “authorized or allowed by the political constitution” is from 1765. Constitutional monarchy is recorded from 1801, from French. Related: Constitutionally. n.“a constitutional walk,” 1829, probably originally among university students, from constitutional (adj.) in the “beneficial to bodily health” sense. adj.
- Of or relating to one’s physical makeup.
- Of or proceeding from the basic structure or nature of a person or thing; inherent.