- a person formally engaged in learning, especially one enrolled in a school or college; pupil: a student at Yale.
- any person who studies, investigates, or examines thoughtfully: a student of human nature.
- a person following a course of study, as in a school, college, university, etc
- (as modifier)student teacher
- a person who makes a thorough study of a subject
n.late 14c., from Old French estudient “one who is studying,” from Medieval Latin studiare “to study,” from Latin studium (see study). Student-teacher is attested from 1907.