- of, relating to, or characteristic of a Germanic people of northern European origin, exemplified by the Scandinavians.
- having or suggesting the physical characteristics associated with these people, typically tall stature, blond hair, blue eyes, and elongated head.
- (sometimes lowercase) of or relating to skiing events involving ski jumping and cross-country skiing.Compare alpine(def 5).
- a member of the Nordic people, especially a Scandinavian.
- skiing of or relating to competitions in cross-country racing and ski-jumpingCompare alpine (def. 4)
- (of recreational walking) incorporating the use of poles that resemble ski poles to aid movement
- of, relating to, or belonging to a subdivision of the Caucasoid race typified by the tall blond blue-eyed long-headed inhabitants of N Britain, Scandinavia, N Germany, and the Netherlands
adj.1898, from French nordique (in J. Deniker’s system of race classifications), literally “of or pertaining to the north,” from nord “north” (a loan-word from Old English; see north). Perhaps influenced by German Nordisch. As a noun, from 1901. Strictly, the blond peoples who inhabit Scandinavia and the north of Britain. As a type of skiing competition, it is attested from 1954.