- of or relating to a norm, especially an assumed norm regarded as the standard of correctness in behavior, speech, writing, etc.
- tending or attempting to establish such a norm, especially by the prescription of rules: normative grammar.
- reflecting the assumption of such a norm or favoring its establishment: a normative attitude.
- implying, creating, or prescribing a norm or standard, as in languagenormative grammar
- expressing value judgments or prescriptions as contrasted with stating factsnormative economics
- of, relating to, or based on norms
adj.1880, perhaps from French normatif, from Latin norma “rule” (see normal).