- a point on the compass midway between north and west. Abbreviation: NW
- a region in this direction.
- the Northwest,
- the northwestern part of the United States, especially Washington, Oregon, and Idaho.
- the northwestern part of the United States when its western boundary was the Mississippi River.
- the northwestern part of Canada.
- Also north·west·ern. coming from the northwest: a northwest wind.
- directed toward the northwest: sailing a northwest course.
- from the northwest.
- toward the northwest: sailing northwest.
- the point of the compass or direction midway between north and west, 315° clockwise from north
- the northwest (often capital) any area lying in or towards this direction
adjective Also: northwestern
- (sometimes capital) of or denoting the northwestern part of a specified country, area, etcnorthwest Greenland
- in, to, towards, or (esp of the wind) from the northwest
noun the Northwest
- the northwestern part of England, esp Lancashire and the Lake District
- the northwestern part of the US, consisting of the states of Washington, Oregon, and sometimes Idaho
- (in Canada) the region north and west of the Great Lakes
Old English norðwest (adv.); from north + west. As a noun from late 14c. Related: Northwestern; northwesterly; northwestward. Northwest Passage first attested c.1600.