- without value, effect, consequence, or significance.
- being or amounting to nothing; nil; lacking; nonexistent.
- Mathematics. (of a set)
- of measure zero.
- being or amounting to zero.
- Electronics. a point of minimum signal reception, as on a radio direction finder or other electronic meter.
verb (used with object)
- to cancel; make null.
- null and void, without legal force or effect; not valid: This contract is null and void.
- without legal force; invalid; (esp in the phrase null and void)
- without value or consequence; useless
- lacking distinction; characterlessa null expression
- nonexistent; amounting to nothing
- quantitatively zero
- relating to zero
- (of a set) having no members
- (of a sequence) having zero as a limit
- physics involving measurement in which an instrument has a zero reading, as with a Wheatstone bridge
adj.“void of legal force,” 1560s, from Middle French nul, from Latin nullus “not any, none,” from ne- “not, no” (see un-) + illus “any,” diminutive of unus “one” (see one).
- Of or relating to a set having no members or to zero magnitude.