- of, relating to, or like a numen; spiritual or supernatural.
- surpassing comprehension or understanding; mysterious: that element in artistic expression that remains numinous.
- arousing one’s elevated feelings of duty, honor, loyalty, etc.: a benevolent and numinous paternity.
- denoting, being, or relating to a numen; divine
- arousing spiritual or religious emotions
- mysterious or awe-inspiring
“divine, spiritual,” 1640s, from Latin numen (genitive numinis) “divine will,” properly “divine approval expressed by nodding the head,” from nuere “to nod,” from PIE *neu- “to nod” (cf. Greek neuein “to nod”) + -ous.