- of, living in, or produced by the ocean: oceanic currents.
- of or relating to the region of water lying above the bathyal, abyssal, and hadal zones of the sea bottom.Compare neritic, pelagic.
- immensely large; vast: an oceanic expanse of stars.
- (initial capital letter) of or relating to Oceania, its peoples, or their languages.
- of or relating to the ocean
- living in the depths of the ocean beyond the continental shelf at a depth exceeding 200 metresoceanic fauna
- huge or overwhelming
- (of geological formations) of volcanic origin, arising from the oceanoceanic islands
- a branch, group, or subfamily of the Malayo-Polynesian family of languages, comprising Polynesian and Melanesian
- of, relating to, or belonging to this group of languages
- of or relating to Oceania
adj.1650s, probably from French océanique, from océan (see ocean).
- Relating to the ocean.
- Relating to the ocean waters that lie beyond the continental shelf and exceed 200 m (656 ft) in depth. Compare neritic. See more at epipelagic zone.