- the imperial guard created in 1804 by Napoleon: it made the last French charge at Waterloo.
- (in the U.S.) the conservative element of any political party, especially the Republican Party.
- (usually lowercase) the influential, established, more conservative members of any body, group, movement, etc.: the old guard of New York society.
- a group that works for a long-established or old-fashioned cause or principle
- the conservative element in a political party or other group
- the French imperial guard created by Napoleon in 1804