- (used with a singular verb) the medical specialty concerned with correction of deformities or functional impairments of the skeletal system, especially the extremities and the spine, and associated structures, as muscles and ligaments.
noun (functioning as singular)
- the branch of surgery concerned with disorders of the spine and joints and the repair of deformities of these parts
- dental orthopaedics another name for orthodontics
n.chiefly British English spelling of orthopedics; for spelling, see pedo-. Related: Orthopaedic. n.1853, from orthopedic. Also see -ics. n.
- The branch of medicine that deals with the prevention and correction of injuries or disorders of the skeletal system and associated muscles, joints, and ligaments, often by surgery.
- The branch of medicine that deals with the treatment of disorders or injuries of the bones, joints, and associated muscles.
The branch of medicine devoted to the study and care of the muscular and skeletal systems.