- the act or process of ossifying.
- the state of being ossified.
- something that has ossified; a bony formation.
- the formation of or conversion into bone
- the process of ossifying or the state of being ossified
n.1690s, from Latin ossis “of bones,” genitive of os “bone” (see osseous) + -fication. n.
- The natural process of bone formation.
- The hardening or calcification of soft tissue into a bonelike material.
- A mass or deposit of such material.
- The process of bone formation, brought about by the action of specialized bone cells called osteoclasts, which absorb old bone tissue, and osteoblasts, which form from osteoclasts and produce new bone tissue. This remodeling of bone is a constant process that maintains bone strength. See more at osteoblast osteoclast.