verb (used with object), dram·a·tized, dram·a·tiz·ing.
- to put into a form suitable for acting on a stage.
- to express or represent vividly, emotionally, or strikingly: He dramatizes his woes with sobs and sighs.
verb (used without object), dram·a·tized, dram·a·tiz·ing.
- to express oneself in a dramatic or exaggerated way.
- (tr) to put into dramatic form
- to express or represent (something) in a dramatic or exaggerated wayhe dramatizes his illness
v.1780s, “to adopt for the stage,” see drama (Greek stem dramat-) + -ize. Meaning “to act out” is from 1823. Related: Dramatized; dramatizing.