verb (used with object)
- to overcome, master, or subdue by superior force: to overpower a maniac.
- to overcome or overwhelm in feeling; affect or impress excessively: overpowered with confusion and desire.
- to gain mastery over the bodily powers or mental faculties of: a strong drink that quickly overpowered him.
- to furnish or equip with excessive power: a giant motor that overpowered the pump.
- to conquer or subdue by superior force
- to have such a strong effect on as to make helpless or ineffective
- to supply with more power than necessary
v.“to overcome with superior power,” 1590s, from over- + power (v.). Related: Overpowered; overpowering.