- the. either of two historic regions of Germany that constituted an electorate of the Holy Roman Empire: one (Lower Palatinate or Rhine Palatinate) is now part of Rhineland-Palatinate and the other (Upper Palatinate) is now part of Bavaria.
- a native or inhabitant of the Palatinate.
- (lowercase) the territory under the jurisdiction of a palatine.
- a territory ruled by a palatine prince or noble or count palatine
- the Palatinate either of two territories in SW Germany, once ruled by the counts palatine. Upper Palatinate is now in Bavaria; Lower or Rhine Palatinate is now in Rhineland-Palatinate, Baden-Württemberg, and HesseGerman name: Pfalz
- a native or inhabitant of the Palatinate
n.1650s, from palatine + -ate (1). In England and Ireland, a county palatine; also used of certain American colonies (Carolina, Maryland, Maine).