- a book bound in a flexible paper cover, often a lower-priced edition of a hardcover book.
- (of a book) bound in a flexible paper cover: a paperback edition of Orwell’s novel.
- of, for, or pertaining to paperbacks: a paperback bookstore.
- a book or edition with covers made of flexible card, sold relatively cheaplyCompare hardback
adjective Also: paperbound, soft-cover
- of or denoting a paperback or publication of paperbacks
- to publish in paperback
n.1899, from paper (n.) + back (n.). Adjective paper-backed attested from 1888.