- chief in importance or impact; supreme; preeminent: a point of paramount significance.
- above others in rank or authority; superior in power or jurisdiction.
- a supreme ruler; overlord.
- a city in SW California, near Los Angeles.
- of the greatest importance or significance; pre-eminent
- rare a supreme ruler
adj.1530s, from Anglo-French paramont, Old French paramont “above” (in place, order, degree), mid-14c., from Old French par “by,” from Latin per “through, for, by” (see per (prep.)) + amont “up,” from a mont “upward” (see amount (v.)). The whole from Latin per ad montem, literally “to the hill.”