- a secret word or expression used by authorized persons to prove their right to access, information, etc.
- a word or other string of characters, sometimes kept secret or confidential, that must be supplied by a user in order to gain full or partial access to a computer, computer system, or electronic device.
- a secret word, phrase, etc, that ensures admission or acceptance by proving identity, membership, etc
- an action, quality, etc, that gains admission or acceptance
- a sequence of characters used to gain access to a computer system
n.“word appointed as a sign to distinguish friend from foe,” 1798, from pass (v.) + word (n.).