noun, plural pa·tel·las, pa·tel·lae [puh–tel-ee] /pəˈtɛl i/.
- Anatomy. the flat, movable bone at the front of the knee; kneecap.
- Biology. a panlike or cuplike formation.
- Zoology. any limpet of the family Patellidae.
- Archaeology. a small pan or shallow vessel.
noun plural -lae (-liː)
- anatomy a small flat triangular bone in front of and protecting the knee jointNontechnical name: kneecap
- biology a cuplike structure, such as the spore-producing body of certain ascomycetous fungi
- archaeol a small pan
n.“knee cap,” 1690s, from Latin patella “pan, kneecap,” diminutive of patina “pan” (see pan (n.)). So called from its shape. Related: Patellar; patelliform. n. pl. pa•tel•lae (-tĕl′ē)
- A flat triangular bone located in the combined tendon of the extensors of the leg and covering the front surface of the knee joint.kneecap
- A pan-shaped anatomical formation.
Plural patellae (pə-tĕl′ē)
- The small, flat, movable bone at the front of the knee in most mammals. Also called kneecap See more at skeleton.