- a person who finds or makes a path, way, route, etc., especially through a previously unexplored or untraveled wilderness.
- an airplane, or a person dropped from a plane, sent into a target area to illuminate the area for succeeding aircraft.
- a radar beacon beamed into a target area to provide guidance for missiles seeking the target.
- (initial capital letter) an unmanned spacecraft that landed on Mars on July 4, 1997, to obtain climatic and geologic data.
- a historical novel (1840) by James Fenimore Cooper.
- a person who makes or finds a way, esp through unexplored areas or fields of knowledge
- an aircraft or parachutist who indicates a target area by dropping flares, etc
- a radar device used for navigation or homing onto a target
n.1839 (Cooper), from path + finder. n.
- A filiform bougie for introduction through a narrow stricture as a guide for the passage of a larger instrument.