- a paved road, highway, etc.
- a paved surface, ground covering, or floor.
- a material used for paving.
- Atlantic States and British. sidewalk.
- pound the pavement, Informal. to walk the streets in order to accomplish something: If you’re going to find work you’d better start pounding the pavement.
- a hard-surfaced path for pedestrians alongside and a little higher than a roadUS and Canadian word: sidewalk
- a paved surface, esp one that is a thoroughfare
- the material used in paving
- civil engineering the hard layered structure that forms a road carriageway, airfield runway, vehicle park, or other paved areas
- geology a level area of exposed rock resembling a paved roadSee limestone pavement
n.mid-13c., from Old French pavement “roadway, pathway; paving stone” (12c.) and directly from Latin pavimentum “hard floor, level surface beaten firm,” from pavire (see pave). see pound the pavement.