- a list of employees to be paid, with the amount due to each.
- the sum total of these amounts.
- the actual money on hand for distribution: The bandits got away with the payroll.
- the total number of people employed by a business firm or organization.
verb (used with object)
- to fund or subsidize: to be payrolled by the State Department.
- a list of employees, specifying the salary or wage of each
- the total of these amounts or the actual money equivalent
- (as modifier)a payroll tax
n.1740, from pay (v.) + roll (n.); “total amount paid to employees over a period,” hence, via records-keeping, “list of employees receiving pay.”