- any song of praise, joy, or triumph.
- a hymn of invocation or thanksgiving to Apollo or some other ancient Greek deity.
- a less common US spelling of paean
- heraldry a fur of sable spotted with or
- a hymn sung in ancient Greece in invocation of or thanksgiving to a deity
- any song of praise
- enthusiastic praisethe film received a paean from the critics
n.1590s, from Latin paean “hymn of deliverance,” from Greek paian “hymn, chant, hymn to Apollo,” from Paian, a name of the god of healing; originally the physician of the gods (in Homer), later merged with Apollo; literally “one who touches” (i.e. “one who heals by a touch”), from paio “to touch, strike.”